Company "C" 2nd West Virginia Cavalry

Submitted by John A. Jackson.


South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, April 17, 1918, Pg. 1

     Jerre Wilson one of the pioneers of Independence in 1870, died at his home in Denver, Colorado, last Friday, at the age of 82 years. He was a brother of the last Captain E. E. Wilson, the first of the 1869 grocers in our city.
     Mr. Jerre Wilson was born in 1836 in Pennsylvania, and when the civil war broke upon the Nation he was among the first to offer his life and enlisted in the second West Virginia cavalry and served throughout the war with credit.
     After his brother, E. E. Wilson, located in Independence, his brother Jerre came in 1870, and became active in boosting for the “hay town” among the Osage Indians, and took “a claim” a year “before the Government survey” and was always a quiet, good citizen. When the legislature of 1871 authorized the erection of the steel bridge over the Verdigris river at the east end of Myrtle street, it fell to Mr. Wilson’s lot, as trustee of Independence township to supervise its construction and to his credit be it said, that bridge was erected without “intimation of graft” and through the floods of forty-five years the foundation stands, although twice has the structure had to be raised as high flood waters set new records.

     In the pioneer days Mr. Wilson was united in marriage with Mrs. Steele and they united with the Congregational church, and her daughter became the wife of Emmet E. Masterman, but she survived only a few years. Mrs. Wilson suffered with a throat difficulty and they moved to Colorado where she improved and lived until two years ago she entered into rest and he brought her remains at the old home.

     Mr. Wilson was always a good citizen, and was one of four brothers who served through the civil war for the Union.

The remains were brought here and the funeral held at the home of his niece Mrs. Thomas E. Wagstaff, and in charge of Rev. Floyd Poe, who spoke comfortingly to the friends, as which his comrades of the Grand Army conducted the beautiful ritual service, and old friends of the deceased served as pall bearers, in laying him beside his wife.