Welcome to Pocahontas County...
County was created by an act of the Virginia
General Assembly on December 21, 1821 from
parts of Bath, Pendleton and Randolph
counties. It was named in honor of
Pocahontas (1595-1617), the Indian princess
who was the daughter of Chief Powhatan, the
King of the Confederated tribes of Atlantic
The original courthouse was built at
Huntersville, the first county seat. In
1891, with great plans for the coming of the
railroad and a new town at Marlinton, the
citizens of Pocahontas voted to move the
county seat six miles west to Marlinton.
Thus, construction was begun in 1893 on the
present courthouse, on property which
occupies a full city block on Tenth Avenue
in Marlinton. The name Marlinton was changed
from Marlin’s Bottom only seven years
before. At that time there were only five
families there. The settlement and
establishment of Marlinton is closely
related to the development of the railroad
and timber industry in the region. And the
courthouse itself was the focus for this
rapid expansion of the county and the town.
The courthouse is a two story, brick,
Victorian Romanesque structure. It has
irregular massing with a central block that
has a steep hip roof. On the front
elevation, there are two dissimilar towers,
one at each corner. The east and west side
have projecting gabled pavilions, as well as
gabled dormers in the roof on each of these
elevations in the Southern portion. Inside,
a major feature is the vertical board
hardwood wainscoting in all the rooms. Doors
are original hardwood, as well as the stairs
and balustrade with handcarved newel posts
of the main staircase.
A two story brick jail in simple Romanesque
style is located back of the courthouse.
While M.F. Giesey of Wheeling, West Virginia
was the major architect, he teamed with
Joseph Warren Yost, a prominent Columbus
architect of courthouse structures in Ohio.
At completion in 1895, cost of the
courthouse was about $28,000.
| Copyright © 1996-Present, WVGenWeb Project, All Rights Reserved