Source: "A Half Century of Nursing in West Virginia, 1907-1957"
by Donovan H. Bond, 1957; pages 75-92.

Alderson-Broaddus College, Philippi - The state's newest nursing education center, Alderson-Broaddus' school is the result of a dream of Dr. Hu C. Myers, and was made possible through the cooperation of his clinic in Philippi - (Postcard). The school dates only from 1945, when an affiliation was set up with Jersey City Medical Center. Current affiliations include: the new Broaddus Hospital of Philippi; St. Elizabeth's of Washington in psychiatry; Columbia Presbyterian of New York in obstetrics and pediatrics; Glendale Hospital of Glendale, Md., in tuberculosis; and the Visiting Nursing Society of Washington. Men are admitted here - the only state nursing school currently making this exception. Miss Grace Niehuis was director of the nursing program until August 1, 1957, successor to Miss Clifford Burroughs, who was responsible for much of the groundwork in establishing the school. Miss Lorita M. Duffield is acting director.

Allegany [Allegheny] Heights Hospital, Davis - (Postcard) -Originally named ALLEGANY GENERAL, this hospital supported a school roughly from 1920 to 1926. A Miss Stemple was listed as director in 1922, the only list on which one was specified. The school itself remained on the 1924 and 1925 lists, but was listed as discontinued early in 1926.

Barnette Hospital, Huntington - This was a Negro hospital, established in 1912, and closed in 1930. A school was established sometime around 1920, or perhaps a bit earlier, and was still in operation when the institution was discontinued. A Mrs. Barnette was listed as director in 1922, and Miss Virginia C. Woody from 1926 through 1929.

Blair Memorial Hospital, Huntington - The only records that have been found for 1917 show this hospital, under the direction of J. C. Blair, educating nurses in a recognized program. Further data have not been found.

Bluefield Sanitarium, Bluefield - (Postcard) - The sanitarium was established in 1902 and the school in 1910. The last class entered in 1930 and the last graduates were capped in 1934. Miss Ella Hill was the school's first director, followed by: Miss Elizabeth W. White, 1922; Mrs. T. S. Grier, 1928; Miss White again, 1929; and Miss Eula Allen, 1932. The first students were two women with 18 months' prior education at another school - Hetty Ruff and Josie Hawley. Both were graduated in 1911. Miss Clara Stanley of Bluefield, now Mrs. Clara Pedigo of that city, entered in 1910 and was the first to complete her program there, graduating in 1913 and taking her examination at the Bluefield High School a year later.

Beer's Hospital, Buckhannon - Established in 1916. Dr. Beer, its owner, opened a school in 1920 and discontinued it in 1923. The only director listed on state records was Miss Grace Lovelace, in 1922.

Brown Hospital, Bluefield - A Negro institution, directed by W. A. Brown, M. D., this school appeared on state examiner's lists in 1930, 1936 and 1937 in an "on approval" status. No record can be found as to the number of graduates it produced nor the actual years of its establishment and discontinuance.

Buckhannon Hospital, Ronceverte - Apparently this was another short-lived school. The school did not appear on any state accreditation list until 1929, when there was one listed. The 1930 list, however, showed the school as "discontinued."

Buckhannon Hospital, Buckhannon - (Postcard) - First established as City Hospital in 1905, this later was Buckhannon CITY, finally Buckhannon Hospital. As CITY, it was on the state list of nursing schools in 1922, but with no director listed. Not on the list again until 1930, it showed up then as Buckhannon Hospital, with Miss Grace Lovelace as director, the same nurse referred to a decade earlier at Beer's Sanitarium. The school was closed in 1932.

Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital, Parkersburg - (Postcard) - Known as City Hospital when it was built in 1895, this institution is one of the state's oldest schools of nursing, having opened for classes Mar. 15, 1898. Since that time, more than 500 nurses have been graduated. Miss Mary Pendergast (later Mrs. W. S. Link) was the first director, and served until 1903, when she was succeeded by Miss Elizabeth H. Williams. Others included: Miss Jane Marshall, 1922; Mrs. Martha M. Russell, 1928; Mrs. Grace M. Short, 1932; Miss Ella Bloomheart, 1937; Miss Aileen Keckler, 1943; Mrs. Bessie Holleman, 1944; Mrs. Catherine Benninghoff, 1945; and Miss Bloomheart again, 1949 to the present. The school worked with the Cadet Nurse program during the war, and today holds affiliations with: Chestnut Lodge of Rockville, Md., in psychiatry; Children's of Washington in pediatrics; and St. Elizabeth's of Washington in psychiatry. An earlier (1,929) affiliation was in pediatrics with Cincinnati General. Two of the school's early graduates, Mary Parrish and Fern Hart, had the privilege of being the state's first "Registered Nurses" when the registration law went into effect in 1907. Temporary national accreditation has been granted.

Charleston General Hospital, Charleston - (Postcard) - This is apparently the fourth name of this hospital. In order it was THOMAS' HOSPITAL, CHARLESTON CITY, then NEW CHARLESTON GENERAL, and finally, since 1937, just CHARLESTON GENERAL. A school was formed in 1898, but was discontinued in 1905. The school was reorganized in 1922, and the first class of nurses was graduated in 1926. In that year, Miss Mae Fye was listed as director, to be succeeded in 1929 by Miss Alma Corbitt. She retired from active nursing February 28, 1957, and was succeeded by Mrs. Mary S. Turner. A participant in the Cadet Nurse program, the school has an affiliation with Morris Harvey College and in psychiatry with Chestnut Lodge of Rockville, Md. It has temporary national accreditation.

Charles Town, General Hospital, Charles Town - (Postcard) - Little is known of this school. It did produce some graduates, however, in the pre-1918 era, though they may have been listed as coming from CHARLES TOWN CITY HOSPITAL, by which name the institution was first known.

Chesapeake and Ohio Hospital, Huntington - (Postcard) - This hospital was founded in 1900, and supported a school from 1915 until 1931. Miss Madge Smith was the first director on accreditation lists. In 1922 with Miss Eleanor D. Koch appearing from 1926 through 1930.

Chester General Hospital, Chester - Another of the pre-1918 schools, it is known that graduates of the class of 1917 have been identified with public health nursing in northern West Virginia.

Children's Hospital, Huntington - Through State Board of Examiners' yearly lists we can certify this school as having been established in 1923 and as having been discontinued in 1927. Only one director's name has remained for us - Miss Edith M. Miller, listed in 1926.

City Hospital, Elkins - (Postcard) - This hospital was established in 1907 and opened a school 10 years later. The school was discontinued in June of 1946. Its directors included: Miss Irene Thompson, 1922; Miss Jessie L. Curran, 1926; Miss Dale Reid, 1928; Mrs. Reba M. Rock Deal, 1929; Miss Geneva Rosencrance, 1936; and Mrs. Mae R. Deal (likely the same as listed in 1929), 1943.

City Hospital, Martinsburg - (Postcard) - [Also called Dr. Oat's Hospital] - This school is but one year away from the 50-year club. The hospital was formed in 1905, the school in 1908; and through 1955, 210 graduates had come through its courses. The first class was graduated in 1911, Mrs. Hannis Porter being the first to receive her diploma. Among the early directors were Miss Maude Brantner, and City's first graduate, Miss Alberta Arnica, later Mrs. Porter. Other directors included: Miss Blanche M. Young, 1922; Miss Erma A. Arnold, 1937; Miss Iona Heberlig, 1943; Mrs. Ruth Monks, 1946; Mrs. Virginia Mulledy Snyder, 1953 (assistant director); Mrs. Lucille McKee; and Mrs. Snyder again, since July 1957, acting director. The school holds affiliation with: Shepherd College; Spring Grove Hospital of Catonsville, Md., in psychiatry; and Children's of Washington in pediatrics.

City Hospital, Spencer - (Postcard) - Originally ROANE COUNTY HOSPITAL from its founding in 1913, this later name apparently was adopted between 1918 and 1922. Once again, the picture is confused. From several bits of information, it would seem that a school was first set up about 1915, closed in 1919, reopened briefly in May of 1920, reopened once more under the name of CITY HOSPITAL SCHOOL about 1921 or 1922, and continued to educate nurses until its discontinuance in 1932. Mrs. Evelyn Haught is known to have been director in 1922, and was still serving in that capacity in 1930.

City Hospital, Sistersville - This is one of the most confused references of all. There are but two shreds of evidence, and they are in conflict. Pleasants County newspapers show references to City Hospital beginning about 1916. But state nursing records list graduates of the school in 1911. At any rate, the school did not survive World War I.

Coal River Hospital, Danville - This school was established in 1922, accredited in 1923, and discontinued in 1927. Only one supervisor, a Miss Allen, has been identified.

Davis Memorial Hospital, Elkins - (Postcard) - Another of the state's 50-year schools, this one was established the same year as its parent hospital, 1903. It had produced 250 graduates through the 1956 class. The first student was admitted late in 1903, shortly after the actual incorporation of the hospital. The first graduate, in 1906, was Nanette Rowan. A participant in the Cadet Nurse Corps, the school today will consider married applicants, and has affiliations with: Davis and Elkins College; Mayview State of Mayview, Pa., in psychiatry; and Johns Hopkins of Baltimore in obstetrics and pediatrics. An earlier affiliation, in psychiatry, was with Chestnut Lodge of Rockville, Md., in 1948. Directors have included: Miss Frances Campion, 1926; Miss Ora Campion, 1941; Miss Frances Campion again, 1944; Miss Irene Tobin, 1946; Mrs. Mildred Cox, 1941; Mrs. Jessie DeMotto, 1951; and most recently Mrs. Frances N. Weese.

Fairmont City Hospital, Fairmont - (Postcard) - Thanks to Virgil Lewis' "Early History of Marion County," more is known of this long-dead school than of most of its contemporaries. The school was opened in either February or March of 1904 and lasted an almost even seven years, closing in March of 1911 when the hospital was disbanded. Director of the school was Miss S. B. Crockett. The school offered a two-year course at first, but had changed to a three-year curriculum in 1908.

Fairmont Emergency Hospital, Fairmont - (Postcard) - Originally FAIRMONT STATE in 1901, and for a short period MINERS' HOSPITAL No. 3, this institution had a school of nursing from late 1901 until January 1947. Mrs. K. C. Lucas was its first director. Others included: a Mrs. Powell, 1921; Miss Ann P. Wibley, 1928; Miss Lillian Sewell, 1930; Miss Nellie P. Thomas, 1932; Miss Julia Louise Price, 1936; and Miss Ramona Stillwagon, 1943. The school followed a two-year curriculum until 1914, switched to a three-year course in that year (some sources say 1915). The hospital had, at the time the school closed, affiliations with Margaret Hague of Jersey City in obstetrics and Children's of Columbus in pediatrics. As early as 1938 an obstetrics affiliation had been established with Elizabeth Steele Magee of Pittsburgh.

Fairmont General Hospital, Fairmont - Formerly COOK'S HOSPITAL (Postcard) from the time of its founding late in 1898, the institution assumed its present name in 1939. A school was founded in 1900, and continues to this day, having produced 483 graduates through the class of 1956, another 50-year school. The first class was graduated in 1902 and was comprised of five women. Their director was Miss Helen Cresap, who was succeeded in 1908 by Mrs. Maud H. Kendall. Later supervisors have included: Miss May Maloney, 1926; Miss Ursula Potts, 1930; Miss Marie Robertson, 1932; Miss Alice L. Studer, 1941; Miss Anne Nester, 1943; Miss Jeanie Lambie, 1944; Mrs. Catherine Benninhoff, 1949; Mrs. Dolores Probstner Caylor, 1952; and the present director, Miss Sophia Yaczola. A participant in the wartime Cadet Nurse program, the school today has affiliations with Fairmont State College and with Philadelphia State Hospital in psychiatry. It has temporary national accreditation.

Fittro's Hospital, New Martinsville - It is only known that Dr. M. L. Fittro prepared nurses here before World War I. MORE ABOUT FITTRO HOSPITAL

Forman's Surgical Hospital, Buckhannon - Little is known of this school. The hospital itself was organized in 1905, discontinued in 1922. It is known that at least four nurses who have held staff positions in the state listed Forman's as their school, with graduation dates of 1917 and 1918.

Gauley Summit Sanitarium, Cowen - All that is known school is that it was in the pre-1918 era and actually did produce graduate nurses for some time prior to World War I.

Gordon Memorial Hospital, Spencer - The opening date of this hospital and school is not known, but apparently was close to 1943. The following year, Mrs. Evelyn Haught was listed as director of the nursing program. The school still was on the accredited list in July, 1949, but was listed as closed in March, 1950.

Grace Hospital, Welch - - (Postcard 1) - (Postcard 2) - This one is a real question mark. Current hospital officials believe that Grace never supported a school. One record in the SNA headquarters, however, lists Grace as one of the pre-1918 schools.

Green Brier Hospital, Spencer - This one was listed on the 1924 accredited list, but without a director. There was no further mention of the school.

Greenbrier Valley Hospital, Ronceverte - Established in 1921 as the GREENBRIER GENERAL, a school was listed under the direction of Miss Julia Page. The school then dropped out of sight, to appear again in 1929 as the Greenbrier Valley School of Nursing, under Miss Clara Savereide. Other directors included: Miss Ettamae Newton, 1930; Miss Sarah M. McClung, 1941; Miss Mabel Foster, 1943; and Miss Newton again in 1944. The school was discontinued in September, 1946.

Guthrie Hospital, Huntington - Apparently this school was in operation from about 1910 until the summer of 1931. Miss Vesta V. Reid was listed as director from 1922 through 1930.

Guyan Valley Hospital, Logan - This school must have one of the shortest lives of any. Not on the accreditation list in 1923, it first appeared in 1924 and did not appear thereafter. Nothing more is known of its history. - Was this the hospital? First Logan Hospital Photo

Haskins Hospital, Wheeling - This hospital was opened in 1895 by Dr. Thomas M. Haskins, and nurses were first graduated apparently in 1900. The school graduated its last class in 1915, the same year the hospital was closed. Records indicated that the school graduated an average of nine nurses per year during this period. At first a two-and-one-half-year course, it later became the standard three-year variety. Directors of nursing included Miss Bertha G. Mansfield, Miss Margaret V. Bell and Miss Bertha Blake.

Hinton Hospital, Hinton - (Postcard, sent 1907) - The Hinton school was established in 1905, 14 years after the hospital was built. The first class was graduated in 1908 and consisted of three women - Dora Stewart, Pearl Wilson and Bertha Wickline. The school was discontinued in September, 1946, holding at the time pediatrics affiliations with two Children's hospitals, those of Columbus and Washington. An interesting sidelight to the list of directors is that the state accreditation rolls first recognized in 1922 the same woman who was on the last entry in 1946 - Mrs. Dorothy Kessinger Abbott, herself a member of the class of 1921. She served until 1929, was succeeded by Mrs. E. A. Dunlap, then was renamed in 1930.

Huntington City Hospital, Huntington - (Postcard) - This school was founded in 1904, and was closed prior to 1918. No other information has been found. (Is this postcard of this hospital?)

Huntington General Hospital, Huntington - This hospital was in operation at least from 1908 to 1926, and may have been opened as early as 1903. It is known that nurses were graduated there as early as 1910, and the school of nursing still was on accredited lists in 1925. The hospital merged in 1921 with Huntington Memorial and Williamson Hospital and was then known as the New Huntington General. It was closed early in 1926. Directors included: Miss Laura Illick, 1910; Miss Daisy Shields, 1915; Miss Anna O'Halleron, 1916; a Miss Duffy, 1920; and Miss Edith M. Miller, 1922 to 1923.

Huntington Memorial Hospital, Huntington - This is the fourth name for this institution. In earlier years it was the KESSLER (1904-1910) - (Postcard), - MOUNT HOPE (1910-1917) - (Postcard), - KESSLER-HATFIELD (1917-1930) and since 1931 HUNTINGTON MEMORIAL. Almost 250 graduates have entered the profession from this school since its inception in 1904, a record qualifying it for membership in the 50-year club. A member of the Cadet Nurse Corps team during World War II, the hospital today has affiliations in psychiatry with St. Elizabeth's of Washington, in obstetrics with Sibley of Washington, and in pediatrics with Children's of Washington. An earlier (1943) affiliation in pediatrics was with Children's of Pittsburgh. Directors have included: Miss Mabel C. Fuller, 1926; Miss Mary R. Brown, 1928; Miss Irene Tobin, 1929; Miss Hazel Chase, 1936; Miss Mary O. Stillwell, 1937; Miss Mary Nelson Brown, 1941; and Mrs. Thelma Lloyd, 1943. The school did not accept a class in the fall of 1957.

J. Lewis Crozier Hospital, Chester - All that is known for certain here is that the school produced graduates as late as 1921, but that it was not listed on the state's accredited rolls in 1922.

Jackson Heights Sanitarium, Parkersburg - This school trained nurses for a short period prior to World War I.

King's Daughters Hospital, Martinsburg - (Postcard) - This school was set up in 1915, with Miss Mary M. Hudson as its first director. Others have included: Miss Jean Hand, 1926; Miss B. Diefenderfer, 1929; Miss Maud L. Ewing, 1937; Miss Mabel C. Fuller, 1941; Miss Agnes Webb, 1946; Mrs. Vesta O. Yontz, 1949 (acting); Sister M. Bernadine and Sister Mary Terence, current director. King's Daughters is affiliated in psychiatry and pediatrics with Philadelphia General, and with Shepherd College.

Additional information from The Journal, provided by Elizabeth Johnson of Martinsburg: The King's Daughters Hospital was built in the late 1700s for use as a jail. In 1893, it was purchased by a group of women, known as the King's Daughters, whose mission was "to work among the poor and needy in His Name." - A Training School for Nurses opened Sept 14, 1914, with a class of 15 women. The Superintendent of Nurses was Mrs. Florence Knapp of Providence Hospital, Washington, D. C. - Due to rumors that the school had no charter and the graduates would not be allowed to take State Board exams, all of the students left in 1916, except for Miss Margaret Beard, who had entered late to replace a student who had resigned. Miss Beard was the first graduate in 1918. The school closed in 1978, after graduating 444 nurses.

Kanawha Valley Hospital, Charleston - Originally BARBER'S SANITARIUM AND HOSPITAL when it was founded in 1908 (or 1909), the hospital got its present name about 1915. The school apparently was formed about 1910. Miss Anna H. Bessler was "superintendent and director." Miss Josephine Bingaman appeared in 1941, and Miss Fritzie Strudel in 1953. Mrs. Ardelia Tully was acting director from July 1, 1956 to January 1, 1957, and has been director since this latter date. Affiliated with Morris Harvey College, St. Francis of Pittsburgh in psychiatry, and Philadelphia General in pediatrics, one of the school's distinctive features is its willingness to consider married applicants.

Laird Memorial Hospital, Montgomery - Named COAL VALLEY HOSPITAL from its birth in 1918, this hospital assumed its present name in 1939. The school apparently was formed at the time of the hospital's founding or shortly thereafter. It participated in the Cadet Nurse program during World War II and currently holds affiliations with West Virginia Tech, and in psychiatry with Springfield State Hospital of Sykesville, Md. Directors have been: Mrs. Frances W. Bromberg, 1922; Miss Garnette Ann Nester, 1941; Mrs. Mary F. Fordham, 1943; and Miss Mary R. Jones, 1944.

Logan General Hospital, Logan - (Postcard) - Established in 1907, this institution was earlier known variously as HATFIELD-LOGAN and HATFIELD-LAWSON, but assumed its better-known name in 1929. The school opened about 1910, underwent a reorganization in 1936, but finally closed in June, 1948. Directors included: Miss Eloise Nichols, 1922; Miss Anna Robinette, 1926; Miss Elsa Pickens, 1930; Miss Irene Tobin, 1936; Miss Julia Louise Price, 1944; Miss Ann Trotkowsky, 1946; and Miss Florence Murphy, 1947.

Lomax Hospital, Bluefield - This school was listed by state sources only once, in 1929. Miss Grace O. Whiting appeared as "supervisor of student nurses."

Marlinton Hospital, Marlinton - (Postcard) -Though a few references give this as Marlinton General, no official confirmation can be found that it ever actually bore that name. At any rate, the school opened around 1920, with Miss Florence Flack as its director. It was discontinued in 1923.

McClung Hospital, Richwood - This hospital was established, as was the school, in 1905, but the school was discontinued in 1932. The school first appeared on state accreditation lists in 1926, with Miss Mary L. White, now of the Kanawha Valley of Charleston, as director.

McCune's Hospital, Martinsburg - Under the direction of Dr. Virginia McCune, this school graduated nurses for an unknown period in the pre-World War I era.

McKendree Hospital, McKendree - Formerly known colloquially as "STATE HOSPITAL," and at one time as MINERS' No.2, this hospital was established in 1900 (or 1902) and the school about 1910. It suspended operations in 1939, was reorganized, and apparently graduated one more class, that of 1941. But no record appears of it after that date. Its known directors included: Miss Monica Morgan, 1922; Miss E. Eugenia Phillips, 1926; Miss Mary E. Wayne, 1928; Miss Bertha W. Eads, 1929; Miss Gladys J. Baird, 1932; and Miss Margaret C. Randall, 1937.

McMaster's Hospital, Wheeling - Founded in 1880 by Dr. R. O. McMaster (Biography), the hospital graduated its first nurse in 1896, its last one in 1907. (Dr. Robert Otto McMASTER married Ella M. AULT, daughter of Thomas & Mariah (Trimble) Ault, on Sept. 5, 1876 in Belmont County, Ohio.)

McMillan Hospital, Charleston - Established in 1907, McMillan first appeared on nursing school lists in 1926. Directors have included: Miss Grace Sindlinger, 1926; Miss Lulu Chamberline, 1932; Miss Sara Hamilton, 1936; Miss Margaret Bloom, 1941; Mrs. Kathryn Trent, 1949; Mrs. Catherine Harrison, who resigned early this year; and the current director, Mrs. Evangeline Baker Jones. The hospital participated in the Cadet Nurse Corps program, and currently is affiliated with Morris Harvey College, with Philadelphia General in psychiatry and pediatrics, and with Children's of Cincinnati in pediatrics. The school has temporary national accreditation. McMillan did not accept a class in the fall of 1957.

Mercer Memorial Hospital, Princeton - The hospital dates from 1918, the nursing school from 1919, when, under the direction of Miss Lula O'Brien, study began for the first class of five - Anita Wythe, Gertrude Snow, Pina Strong, Hazel Lowe and Anna Maxwell - all of whom were graduated in 1922. Later directors included: Mrs. Polly Smith Mastin, 1928; and Miss Estelle B. Vinson, 1930. The school was closed in 1932.

Mercy Hospital, Princeton - This is another of the vaguer ones. All that is known is that certain nurses have been listed as having been graduated from here in the years prior to 1918.

Methodist Hospital, Spencer - This school was listed as accredited in 1922, but as closed in 1923. No evidence has been found regarding its opening date.

Monongalia General Hospital, Morgantown - Formerly MONONGALIA COUNTY HOSPITAL (Postcard) - The name was changed to its present form in the mid-1930's. The school was established in 1924, though the hospital dated from the century's first year. The school was discontinued in 1934, but was reorganized in 1943 under the auspices of the Cadet Nurse Corps. It has continued until the present time, and now holds temporary national accreditation, with affiliations with: West Virginia University; Woodville State of Woodville, Pa., in psychiatry; and Children's of Pittsburgh in pediatrics. During its earlier phase, the school was affiliated in obstetrics with Cincinnati General. Directors included: Miss Sarah Elizabeth Giffen, 1926; Miss Amelia M. Webking, 1929; Mrs. Thomas M. Renick, 1930; Miss Kathryn R. Dooley, 1947; Miss Mary Frances Farrar, 1949; Miss Mary Jo King, 1952 (acting); and Mrs. Margaret Kingman, present director.

Mountain State Hospital, Charleston - Originally MEMORIAL HOSPITAL when it was founded in 1922, Mountain State's first accreditation was in 1924. It closed its school in September, 1952. At the time of its discontinuance, it had a pediatrics affiliation with Children's of Cincinnati, had listed one as early as 1931 with Cincinnati General. Its directors included: Miss Marie Cook, 1926; Miss Mabel C. Fuller, 1928; Miss Eleanor Ocheltree, 1937; Miss Kathryn R. Dooley, 1941; Miss Yolando Frisch, 1943; Miss Ida Pagenhardt, 1944; Miss Rebecca Feaster, 1946; and Mrs. June H. Wilson, 1949.

Oak Hill Hospital, Oak Hill - This school was established in 1919 and was accredited. It was closed in 1923. Its director was Miss A. E. Augustine.

Ohio Valley General Hospital, Wheeling - (Postcard 1) - (Postcard 2) - (Postcard 3) - Oldest of the state's nursing schools, Ohio Valley General lists 1892 as its founding date, with its first graduating class of 1895 numbering five women. One was Mrs. Susan B. Cook, for several years the state's oldest living graduate nurse. The school and the hospital opened the same year, under the name of CITY HOSPITAL (Postcard 4). The name was changed when a new building was planned in 1912 (occupied in 1914). Mainly through the fine efforts of the hospital staff, it has possibly the most complete history that any West Virginia school of nursing can offer. For example, all the institution's directors are recorded: Miss Jennie Maywood, 1892; Mrs. Charlotte Collins, 1893; a Miss Blair, 1894; Mrs. E. Jane Johnson, 1894; Miss Ethel Heinrichs, 1899; Mrs. Mary C. Carpenter, 1906; Miss Garnet Wiseman, 1911; Mrs. Jennie Fontaine Wilson, 1913; Miss Harriet M. Phalen, 1916; Miss Frances L. Wales, 1919; Miss Jessie A. Clarke, 1920; Miss Nell Robinson, 1926; Miss Chloe Stewart, 1929; Miss Frances L. Wales, 1936; Mrs. A. Myra L. Thomas, 1941; Miss Fannie G. Errickson, 1943; Mrs. Marie Elliott, 1944; Miss Mary Van Ness, 1949; and Miss Ruth Spencer, current director. A participant in the Cadet Nurse Corps program during World War II, the school has held a long list of affiliations, most recent of which are its general affiliation with West Liberty State College and a psychiatry affiliation with Philadelphia General. The school will consider married applicants, and holds temporary national accreditation. Another interesting sidelight is that the oldest school also has graduated more nurses than any other, as might be expected - 940 through 1956 - with the "school's largest classes in history in prospect for 1957 and 1958 ceremonies.

Pinecrest Sanitarium, Beckley - This was formerly RUTHERFORD SANITARIUM, created by the Legislature in 1927. Formally opened in 1930, it became Pinecrest in 1934. The same dates, 1930-1934, marked the opening and closing of a school for tuberculosis nurses.

Pocahontas Memorial Hospital, Marlinton - This school was attempted in 1928 or 1929. It did not appear on a mid-1928 list, but was on the spring list in 1929. It was listed as "discontinued" early in 1930. Contemporary newspaper articles referred to the attempt as "futile," giving the impression that enrollment was not sufficient to support the effort.

Potomac Valley Hospital, Keyser - This was formerly Hoffman Hospital from its founding in 1903 until 1930. (Postcard) - The school was formed in 1904 and discontinued in July, 1945, and had medical, pediatrics and psychiatry affiliation with the Philadelphia General. Directors included: Miss Clyde W. Smith, 1926; Miss Mayme Kessler, 1932; Miss Eva Louise Calvert, 1936; and Sister M. Magdalene, 1941.

Princeton Hospital, Princeton - Formerly Princeton General Hospital, this institution goes back to 1912, and the school to 1913. The school lasted for just 20 years, a victim of the depression in 1933. Only one director appeared on state accreditation lists - Mrs. Nelle McIntosh Noel, who first showed up on the list in 1922 and who still was on the last list (1932) bearing the school's name. At the time of its demise, the school was affiliated in pediatrics with Children's of Cincinnati.

Raleigh General Hospital, Beckley - This was first KING'S DAUGHTERS when it was officially opened August 14, 1920. It assumed its present name in 1928. The school was opened that year, 1928, although an earlier attempt apparently was made. It was listed on the Board of Examiners' records in 1924 as "up for approval." The school was discontinued in 1951 after 139 nurses had been graduated. Directors of the nursing program during the school's existence (and just prior to its certification) and the years in which they were first listed on official records included: Miss Zoe L. Hanna, 1926; Miss Florence I. Doyle, 1930; Miss Margaret Taliaferro, 1932; Mrs. Madelyn Sutphin White, 1941; Miss Alice V. White, 1946; and Mrs. Hannah Selden, 1949. The school was an affiliate of the Cadet Nurse Program.

Reynolds Memorial Hospital, Glen Dale - (Postcard) - (Postcard2) - This school was established in 1899 and only just missed the 50-year club when it was discontinued as an education center for nurses in September, 1948. It produced 276 graduates. It had participated in the Cadet Nurse program and had pediatrics and obstetrics affiliations respectively with Children's and Elizabeth Steele Magee of Pittsburgh. Directors included: Miss Dora Knight, 1922; Miss Sarah Elizabeth Giffen, 1929; Miss Eva L. Davis, 1930; Miss Isabelle Bennett, 1932; Miss Elizabeth Steel, 1936; Miss Madolyn Louise Allum, 1941; Miss Louvisa Atkinson, 1943; Miss Jennie MacDonough, 1944; Miss Allum again in 1946; and Miss Rose Prosser, 1947. - (More about this hospital)

Sacred Heart Hospital, Richwood - (Postcard) - This school was a project of the Pallottine Sisters from 1917 to 1931. The hospital itself dates to 1913. Only two directors were connected with the school - Sister M. Carola until 1924 and Sister M. Adelaide until 1933.

Sheltering Arms Hospital, Hansford - (Postcard, sent 1909) - Sheltering Arms was one of the state's pioneers, having been established in 1886. A school was established in 1902, and was discontinued in 1923. - (Postcard 2, sent 1910) [Submitted by Dan Hall.] - (Postcard 3, sent 1912) [Submitted by Dan Hall.] - (Postcard 4, No date) [Submitted by Dan Hall.] - (Postcard 5, sent 1912) [Submitted by Dan Hall.] - (Postcard 6 - Hansford) [Submitted by Dan Hall.] - Article, 1907 [Beckley Raleigh Register] - Photo, c 1907-1915 [Submitted by Ross Hunter.]

Stevens' Clinic, Welch - (Postcard) - This institution was organized in 1930, the same year that its school was established. Mrs. Mary E. St. Clair was director. One year later, however, the school was discontinued, because "there is a surplus of nurses in the county." Students were transferred to Bluefield Sanitarium's school.

St. Francis Hospital, Charleston - (Postcard) - This school was established in 1913, with the first graduate in the class of 1916. Since that time, more than 400 nurses have successfully completed St. Francis' courses. Conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Wheeling, the school was a participant in the wartime Cadet Nurse Corps plan and today lists affiliations with Morris Harvey College, Children's of Columbus in pediatrics, and St. Francis of Pittsburgh in psychiatry. Directors have included: Sister M. Adelaide, 1922; Sister Evarista, 1926; Sister M. Virginia, 1932; Sister M. Adelaide, 1936; Genevieve Wilson, 1941; Dorothy Feaster, 1942; Sister Mary Paul, 1943; Sister de Chantal, 1952; Sister Rita Marie, 1954; and Sister M. Thomasina, at present in charge. The school will consider married applicants, and holds temporary national accreditation.

St. Joseph's Hospital, Buckhannon - (Postcard) - It is believed that a school was set up here as early as 1924, although the school was not on the accredited list until 1929. In that year, Sister Scholastic a was listed as director, and also was on the list for two years following that. An affiliation in pediatrics with Children's Hospital of Columbus was negotiated in 1931. The school was closed in 1933. (Note: As a matter of interest, Bluefield, Buckhannon and Spencer share the distinction of being the only towns in the state having had as many as four schools without one survivor).

St. Joseph's Hospital, Parkersburg - (Postcard 1) - (Postcard 2) - This is another school of the 50-year class, having been established in 1905, the hospital itself in 1900. Under the direction of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Wheeling, the school, now with temporary national accreditation, had graduated 513 nurses through 1956. It was a participant in the Cadet Nurse Corps program during World War II, and has affiliation in psychiatry with St. Francis of Pittsburgh. Its directors have included: Sister Euphrasia, 1922; Miss Blanche Woodyard, 1929; Sister M. Zita, 1933; Sister Mary Virginia, 1939; and Sister Mary Ruth, present director.

St. Luke's Hospital, Bluefield - (Postcard) -Established in 1904, this hospital set up a school in 1907 (or 1909), and continued it until September of 1949. Its director at the time of its discontinuance was a real veteran, Miss Gertrude Hughes, who had been listed in the same capacity since the school first appeared on an accredited list in 1926. No other director was ever listed for the school. It was affiliated in 1932 with the Medical Center of New York City in pediatrics, and had a general affiliation in 1938 with the Pennsylvania Hospital of Philadelphia.

St. Luke's Hospital, Parkersburg - Several sources speak of this as a nursing school before 1915, but further substantiating data have not been found.

St. Mary's Hospital, Clarksburg - (Postcard) - One of the state's 50-year schools, this one began in 1905 when the Sisters of St. Joseph of Wheeling accepted the Harrison County Hospital and re-chartered the St. Mary's Hospital and School of Nursing. The school has had 625 graduates including those of 1956, and holds a psychiatry affiliation with St. Francis of Pittsburgh. One earlier affiliation (1932) was in pediatrics with Children's of Columbus. A participant in the Cadet Nurse program, the school today holds full national accreditation. Its directors have included: Sister M. Aquinas, 1922; Sister M. Zita., 1926; Miss Harriet B. Hill, 1932; Sister M. Virginia, 1933; Sister Mary Paul, 1941; Sister M. Zita, 1943; Sister Mary Rosaria, 1944; Sister Mary Ellen, 1946; Sister Mary Ruth, 1951; Sister Mary Virginia, 1952; and Sister Rose Anthony, current director.

St. Mary's Hospital, Huntington - (Postcard) - This school was founded in 1926, less than two years after a group of Pallottine Sisters had come there from Sacred Heart of Richwood and converted a boys preparatory school into a hospital. More than 746 graduates have been produced since that time, highest average number per year of any school within the state. Today's student body approaches 200, a sharp contrast with the seven who comprised the first class. Today's school has temporary national accreditation, and has a psychiatry affiliation with Our Lady of Peace of Louisville. Only four directors have served as head of the school: Sister M. Carola from 1926 to 1930; Sister M. Pia from 1930 to 1945 and from 1947 to 1950; and Sister M. Frances from 1945 to 1947 and from 1950 to 1957. Sister M. Agnesine is now director. The school was affiliated with the Cadet Nurse Corps.

Union Protestant Hospital, Clarksburg - (Postcard) - This hospital was known by at least two and possibly three earlier names: KESSLER, 1900-1917; possibly CITY - (Postcard) for a short time in 1917; and MASON HOSPITAL - (Postcard) - from 1917 to 1933, when it assumed the name by which it still is more commonly remembered. The school was established in 1903 and was discontinued in 1953, barely making the 50-year club before it closed. It is, incidentally, the state's only non-functioning member of the half-century group. It still was on the accredited list in October, 1953, but was listed as "not admitting a class in 1953." A participant in the wartime Cadet Nurse program, the school had a pediatrics affiliation with Children's of Pittsburgh at the time of its closing. Directors included: Miss Margaret W. Davis, 1922; Miss Hallie W. Frame, 1921; Miss Mattie Hamilton, 1930; Miss Harriet E. Drain, 1932; Miss Beulah M. Brown, 1941; Miss Blanche Young, 1943; Mrs. J. Woofter Bland, 1941; and Mrs. Cecil Bland, 1953.

Vincent Pallotti Hospital, Morgantown - (Postcard) - Though this is its current name, this hospital never graduated any nurses under this title. Originally CITY HOSPITAL from its founding in 1901 to 1940, it was then changed to HEISKELL MEMORIAL, and remained under that name until its purchase in February, 1950, by the Pallottine Sisters. They discontinued the school on Feb. 16, and transferred all students to St. Mary's in Huntington. The school was founded in 1912. Known directors were: Miss Bessie Shaver, 1922; Mrs. Elsie Proch Harwood, 1926; and Miss Jessie B. Robinson, 1936. (Is the postcard a picture of this hospital?)

Welch Emergency Hospital, Welch - (Postcard) - (Postcard 2) -Also known at one time as MINERS' Hospital No.1, this hospital was set up in 1900. The school was established in 1914 and continued for exactly 30 years until 1944. Among its directors were: Miss Rose Fuller, 1922; Mrs. Mary E. St. Clair, 1930; Mrs. Gladys W. Evans, 1932; Miss Edith L. Harris, 1936; and Mrs. Edith Eddins, 1941.

Weston General Hospital, Weston - (Postcard) - This is another of the "indefinites." The state accreditation list for 1924 lists a school here as being "up for approval this year." No further mention is made of it, however.

Wheeling Hospital, Wheeling - (More about this hospital) Another member of the 50-year club, Wheeling's school could list exactly 900 graduates after the 1956 ceremonies. The first class was graduated from Wheeling in 1903, and numbered just four women. The peak number was 47 in the class of 1946, equalled again in 1953. A participant in the Cadet Nursing program, this school also holds temporary national accreditation. Its affiliations include the College of Steubenville, St. Francis of Pittsburgh in psychiatry and Children's of Columbus in pediatrics. Directors have included: Sister M. Geraldine, 1922; Sister M. Stanislaus, 1926; Sister Mary Zita, 1944; and Sister Rita Marie, current director. The school maintains a fine file of its graduates and points proudly to two in particular - the revered Sister Mary Ruth of St. Joseph's of Parkersburg, and Margaret Foley of St. Louis, two of the nation's most respected leaders in nursing education. Photo - Nurses' Residence, School of Nursing, North Wheeling Hospital

Williamson Memorial Hospital, Williamson - This school was established in 1928, and educated nurses until June of 1949. Directors were: Mrs. Charles H. Lyles, 1929; Miss Maggie W. Davis, 1930; Mrs. Mary Alexander, 1936; Miss Myrtle Weddington, 1937; Mrs. Blanche M. Young, 1941; Miss Ruby Hoke, 1943; Miss Mary Helen Brown, 1944; and Mrs. Ethelyn Thornton, 1946. The school had an obstetrics affiliation with St. Mary's of Huntington at the time of its closing.